This great recipe from our contributor “ChicaPost” is a Belizean favorite. Chirmole, also know as “Black Dinner” is a tasty black colored soup with roots in Mayan and Mestizo cultures but enjoyed by all in Belize.
1 Whole Chicken
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 bouillon cubes
2 large whole cloves
4 large whole all spice
1 T Black Peppercorns
1 T dried Mexican Oregano
1/2 t cumin seeds
1/2 T to 1 T red pepper (depends on how much heat you want)
2 T red recado
5 T black recado
3 large tomatoes or 5 Romas, chopped
1 chayote, chopped
1 small pumpkin squash, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 small red potatoes or 1 large white potato
6 boiled eggs
Many corn tortillas
1. Put washed chicken in stock pot and fill with water until chicken covered. Add salt, garlic, and bouillon cubes. Turn heat on to boil.
2. While waiting for chicken to boil, in spice mill or coffee grinder put whole cloves, whole all spice, black peppercorns, dried Mexican oregano, red pepper and cumin seeds. Grind until it becomes a powdery substance. Once all ground add to 1/2 cup of water and stir until completely dissolved. Once dissolved put in pot with chicken.
3. Place red recado and black recado in bowl with 1 cup of water. Using your fingers dissolve the recados in to the water. Once dissolved add to stock pot and stir.
4. Wait until chicken is cooked then add all of the vegetables. Once all of the vegetables are soft it is ready to be served.
5. Scoop out chicken, vegetables, and broth, and put in bowl. Add a peeled boiled egg to the soup. Warm the tortillas and enjoy your soup.