Recipe for nice hot crusty Belizean Johnny Cakes
- 1 lb flour
- 1/2 cup shortening or substitute marjarine, or butter
- 3 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Pre-Heat oven to 400 F about 205 C.
- Place Flour, Salt, Baking Powder and Shortening in a bowl.
- With finger tips rub shortening and flour mixture together (like when making biscuits, the flour and fat should form bread crumb like clumps).
- Add Coconut Milk slowly to crumbs like flour mixture and work with hands to make a dough.
- Add 2nd cup of Coconut Milk, just enough to make a soft dough. If dough feels stiff add a little more coconut milk.
- You are not making bread so do not over mix or knead.
- As soon as you have a nice soft dough roll it out into a long strip about 12 to 15 inches. Cut the rolled dough into 1 1/2″ to 2″ size pieces.
- Shape into round balls put on greased baking sheet.
- Flatten lightly with palm of hand and prick with a fork.
- Bake in hot oven until golden brown typically about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with Dutch Gouda cheese.